Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rambles and Noodles

There are essentially two things I do in my free time. Either I am reading, watching or listening to some form of media or I am attempting to be creative. Of the first I frequently ramble on about what I've read, seen or heard, so much so that I even have a website which serves just this purpose for one form of media I particularly enjoy, namely Korean cinema. As for the second, I am a dedicated but frequently undisciplined artist. When I play my guitar I begin by playing nonsense and persevere until either I give up or something good comes out of it, a process I've always called noodling. Incidentally, it turns out that the actual definition of the word is (courtesy of The Free Dictionary):

noo·dle 3  (ndl)
intr.v. noo·dlednoo·dlingnoo·dles Slang
To improvise music on an instrument in an idle, haphazard fashion.

Not far off the mark! In any case this is a term I like to use for all of my creative pursuits, be they musical, literary, cinematic, or otherwise, because I do approach most everything in a haphazard fashion until I find a way to instil some structure in it. Of course this could be said to some degree for every artist but still, I think it fits the bill.

So what is the purpose of Rambles and Noodles? Simply to opine my thoughts on media that I consume and current events as well as to share my artistic pursuits. I hope you enjoy the blog and please do feel free to comment or get in touch with me. My twitter handle is @pierceconran and my e-mail is pierceconran at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment